Sensei Jim Irvine posted the class schedule for yesterday. The throw we have been working on is Sode Tsuri Komi Goshi and he was kind enough to do a breakdown and look up videos.
Foundational Skills Class – 7:30 – 8:30
· General warm-up – falls, rolls, & light throw-for-throw (10 min)
· we will then have a short conditioning section (10 min)
· Uchi Komi & throw-for-throw – any 3 techniques (20 min)
· Review Sode Tsuri Komi Goshi à see video links below (20 min)
Advanced Skills Class – 8:30 – 9:30
· Groundwork Randori (back-to-back drill – 1 min rounds) (15 min)
· Throw Defense – hip bump (10 min)
· Free practice of throws after quick review/practice of O Soto Gari, O Goshi, Tai Otoshi, Ashi Garuma, Hari Tsuri Komi Goshi & Ko Uchi Gari (25 min)
· Light Randori with no resistance (10 min)
Sode Tsuri Komi Goshi
Sode-tsuri-komi-goshi is often known as Sleeve Lift Pull Hip. However, the Sode-tsuri part of the name refers to the tsurite being the sleeve grip. In other words, the fishing grip that is usually on the collar of the uke becomes the pulling hand (or hikite) as the sleeve grip becomes the fishing grip.
The tsuri-komi-goshi part of the name shows the throws similarity to tsuri-komi-goshi itself. As the sleeve grip is turned into the uke and upwards, tori gets this arm straight as possible to ensure as close contact to uke as possible, bending their knees if need be. As this movement is made, tori can then roll uke over their hips, pulling round with the other hand.
Due to the sleeve being used as the tsurite, tori can usually use a double sleeve grip to enter this technique, or turn into a left-handed throw from a right-handed grip or the reverse.
o Old Masters – Osawa 10th-dan (1:34) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdCKaJMIjmA&feature=related
o Basics - Japanese (0:30) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-0fZLZS9dA&feature=related
o Koga teaching in Japanese (1:03) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCpn191Imf0&feature=fvwrel
o Basic Skills (2:35) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLfo1xzrckk
o Teaching O-goshi, Uki-goshi, Tsuri-goshi, Tsurikomi-goshi, Sode-tsurikomi-goshi & competition footage (8:11) –
Tsurikomi-goshi at 4:35 & Sode-tsurikomi-goshi at 5:26 - Professor Kano at 3:03 teaching Uki Goshi
o Competition Throws (2:57) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkcPKJDD4e8
· Sode Tsuri Komi Goshi à Tai Otoshi (0:14) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXeto1SWEKU